Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Guide for the Perplexed

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
What Charmaine posted a few weeks back got me pacing around the rooms, which has developed into a weird habit whenever I think, scheme, or listen to music. Were I to be put to the streets outside my house, I may find myself in Woodlands before nightfall. I paced while sinking deep into happy limerence, then it went away.

My job attachment at IBM is a blessing in disguise. It may have taken away the good chunk of December, and sentenced me to my cubicle at daytime, but it has left my day far from temptation and close to a book, the one by the philosopher and theologian, Keith Ward.

I had unshelved it the first time I saw it, and in the first time in a long while that I had a trip to the Christianity shelf on the second storey of the library at Jurong. I didn't visit there very frequently at all, maybe for the same reasons that Charmaine had cited. I didn't think I was perplexed anyway, until I borrowed it and realised how perplexing it was.

Ward took some time off to poke at modern and popular perceptions, maybe by those "teenaged evangelists who wear their faith like gaudy street fashion". But instead of offering opinions by the chapterload, he presented other people's misguided views. (Maybe the ideas were all misguided in one way or another, by any extent. If you get tired easily while thinking, you'd say that they're all relatively misguided)

Folks interested in theology, watch out now for Rabbi Moses ben Maimon, Saint Thomas Aquinas, Saint Augustine, and maybe the Iliad, because I wish for the coming of an age in which people talk about God and know what they're really talking about.

Would like to write more when I'm in the right mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment