Sunday, July 19, 2009

National Day Parade / NE Shows

I. 3 files in my contingent were missing on 18 July, which is also Mom's birthday. No one noticed a thing, what with us stealthily and virtuostically spreading out to fill the space left behind.

II. National Day Parade (plus n times previews, n times rehearsals, and n times NE shows) have earned a special place in my heart over time, and this is not just because of the patriotic fervour. Yes! Someone special is watching me, starched cardboard-stiff and pointlessly spruced, from up there everytime I march in with my mates; and this is not just the RSM.

It's partly thanks to the kids coming to watch us for the last 2 NE shows. Their spirits threw my cynicism in stark relief. They sang the Anthem unprompted; they echoed every blank shell rattling off the boats, and every wave of the Feu-de-joie with ecstatic cheering (screaming? screeching?) - throwing a din to match the noises we must have been making a thousand times before!

And while the rain poured unreservedly upon the Guard of Honour / Flag Party in all our ceremonial splendour last Saturday, the kids stayed behind on platform and wrapped up the show in high spirits. A heartwarming picture of the children audience (in ponchos) came on Sunday on Lianhe Zaobao, putting me to shame for ever thinkin' to grumble.

In the same issue, I also discovered that the traffic accident (the one with 7 ambulances activated) is a sham put up by the trainers to pacify drenched and mutinious spirits. Alas, I was sorely fooled.

III. The Fire of Joy command reads:
Akan tembak FEU-DE-JOIE, isikan- BARU!
Awesome, French thingimmabob in a Malay command! And I never knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment