Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Universe Created this Tuesday

The first thing Tak did, he wrote himself
The second thing Tak did, he wrote the rules
The third thing Tak did, he wrote the universe


Tuesday the Seventeenth of October, in the Year of our Lord 2006
Confessions of an Apprentice Creator, the Demiurge, also the author of these passages


Preamble (Apocryphal)
I confess as an apprentice, my sin of reliving the creation by being creator to a universe of fantasy, of ruling over my denizens, impoverished of a real existence. I stress (to the folks that inhabit my passages), that even when they live by my word, I live under His, and that whatever I write down, God has meant me to write them.

Hallelujah praise the Lord may he forgive me.

Let me explain what I'm up to. You as the reader is experiencing with me a very special thing, the creation of a universe in terms of narration by an ordinary human being. It's been done before through numerous fantasy authors, and more notably in Gaarder's
Sophie's World
where the characters in the story have recently realised that they were characters in a story.

Also, these passages, if God allow they be continued, would serve as a philosophical tool to explore the higher-order realities through exploring the lower-order realities. You could see that happen in Abbott's
Flatland
, which, by intruding a three-dimensional character into the setting of a Victorian two-dimensional universe, sets us (the readers) off pondering about how four spatial dimensions would be experienced by ourselves.

And you'd notice that in writing these passages I have a heightened awareness of God looking over my shoulder. This could mean two things: that this way of attaining sublimated consciousness really works, or that I'm harbouring a guilt complex. After all, this is sort of playing God, and so far nothing good has come out of it.

Which is why I beg you, my reader, to tell me when I should stop.


The first thing Demiurge did, he wrote himself.
This universe is by an imperfect deity. Certainly, he’s all-powerful and all-knowing as far as them poor souls may perceive, (or maybe not, because a bit of my own is written into every person in this small world) though not entirely benevolent himself.

I don’t want to reveal more about me so as to leave something about me for my folks to philosophise about.

The second thing Demiurge did, he wrote the rules.
Pratchett writ the rules too, for his universe. It’s kind of funny he never really pretended to be the Creator of his universe like I just did. Pratchett's universe has a lower c - the speed of light. Well in my case I’ll just leave the universe to figure itself out, but hopefully it might produce a universe coherent with my imagination, with a planet, living beings and everything, otherwise I’ll get bored silly.

The speed of light is 15,365,579 metres per second. There are five fundamental forces. Force 1 and 2 are dual and acts in logarithmic scales of 10^-27 m and 10^19m respectively, force 3 and 4 are attractive and repulsive respectively and both acts in scales of 1m. Force five goes around in circles.

This is getting boring.

The third thing Demiurge did, he wrote the Universe.
Sorry, folks, for not bothering about your Physics.
At least, I put light in so that you won’t panic when you people reach for the switch and the light wouldn’t turn on.
Therefore, let there be light.
And there was light.

Er, let there be sound?
And longtitudinal waves populate the lit space, and strangely enough this primordial utterance consist of a fiddle and flute and a bodhrán. Maybe that's because I like Irish music.

When I get round to it, I might throw in Breton and Scottish music as well. And some classical pieces. Stravinsky?

The universe gets born from a point, and I have happily adopted Father Lemaître's Cosmic Big Bang Theory to apply to my own universe. Right now everything is in a primordial soup, although I hardly have anything in favour of soups in a cosmic context. The exciting bits always come later.

But first I shall finish my dinner, take a shower, sleep a bit, come back from school tomorrow after a billion years or two to see if any habitable planet comes in. Hey, maybe I could even make do with less than seven days!


(Click for the Second Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment