Tuesday, November 06, 2012

On Opus Dei and other things

1. Opus Dei is hidden in plain sight along Heng Kui Meng Terrace. Business School students and people along West Coast / Pasir Panjang Road pass by that place every day without ever knowing that one of these buildings would be housing a chapel so infused with fragrant oil smells and portraits of St. Josemaría Escrivá. The meditation sessions on Saturday housed ~20 attendees, from students to postgrads and professors of Physics. It stretched 2 hours from when service started and when dinner was finished. Opus Dei is gender-segregated, so this session had only guys attendees, and there is always enough beer for everyone.

2. A few weeks ago, while I explored the Faculty of Science, I realised that, against all reason and common modesty, the Department of Biological Sciences has been moved to S14, right by the road with the purer sciences.

3. The flowers at my house at the first floor are feeding ground for hummingbirds, and egrets and kingfishers and those fellas I call the bananabirds roam the sapling nursery nearby. I am reminded of Andreas, my groupmate in Aalto, who loves watching birds; surely, he will find his heaven on earth here! Even among the mynahs, some of the common variety (Acridotheres tristis) can now be found among the dominant Javan variety (A. javanicus), bringing up the invasive species diversity by 1.

4. Apparently Nordea has a branch in Singapore. I don't have to go back to Helsinki to close my account after all! Yayy! But noooooo