Friday, September 15, 2017

The Spy

Vivid dream in the night. A group of us are in a retreat house in China, coming together and praying and doing whatever you would do on a retreat. The house has two rooms linked by a hallway. By and by I realise that there is a gap between the rooms and a secret room has been set up between them, and a spy from the Communists has been planted inside to observe us and to track our conversations. The room turns out to be just about visible when one looks through a window at the side wall of either of our rooms. The spy is an dolorous middle-aged fellow in a beige jacket, and he mostly watches the screen of his own laptop idly or plods around his room. One of the retreat participants is a tetchy native Chinese man, and he berates me for my curiosity. "Do you want to die?" he shouts. "Do you want to be exposed? Don't look at him!" Now a small toddler boy among us is standing at the window and has been studying the Spy intently, while the Spy stares blankly out over his head. I realise that the windows let light through in the wrong direction -- we can see the Spy, but he cannot see us, only reflections of his own small room. No wonder he looks so glum! When I woke up I decided that the man who had nagged me in the dream was the real snitch. And now it is day and all the myriad activities of day beckon me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment