Saturday, April 12, 2008

Self-effacement

Premise: Is self-effacement, in other words: keeping a low profile before people in deed as well in thought, a good way to get around? For me, at least.

Whydo I ask this? On one hand, I find it incredibly fun to go around noticing things and not getting noticed in turn. I get nervous when I become noticed, and usually subsequently attempts to cover up by pretending nothing is really happening here, whatever things happening. (Stated here the meaning of self-effacement in present context)

On the other hand, does belonging in a proud and exclusive group destroy the non-offensive nature of self-effacement? When you hesitate in announcing your vocation, does a voice nag you from the back of your head, saying "Why are you not proud?" Is self-effacement then an antisocial act?

And since an assumption of importance will rightfully entail an assumption of responsibility, if I can take responsibility, why not assume importance then? At this point now, is self-effacement an irresponsible act?

And a good few people will know the back story, the unrelated events leading to me asking this for myself.

Is it a question of humility? Not really, but it kind of grows out of the question of humility. A self-effacing person may not be too vain, too outwardly arrogant etc. but it does not show that they are humble, a word which is correctly taken to mean "knows his place". Therefore it is possible that he sees himself as less important as he really is, thereby becoming wholly unhumble.

I know some people who actually do things like that other than myself, and worked with them in the past, when people took things easy. It wasn't easy. They did as good as shirked from responsibility.

What other questions should I ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment