Thursday, January 27, 2011

Freshman Journal 1.2.3

Analysis
I've started to refer to this subject colloquially as "Gay Maths" for obvious enough reasons.
Some things (other than class topics) they taught this week:
1. Good mathematicians always cover their tracks. This is why proofs are so inscrutable.
2. Direct proofs are preferred over contradiction proofs.


Started on practices in the textbook because I've been lagging behind. It turns out that I had been too complacent for the first two weeks. Never mind, I will catch up. Watch out, PRCs!

Yesterday, I proudly produced my first contrapositive proof. My first! And to think that now we are at limits!

Differential Equations
Zhuo Min said: Your lecturer probably taught differential equations as little more than a bag of tricks to solve specific equations (variable separable, those amenable to funny substitutions, etc.), many of which do not arise in practice. Such pedagogy will never convey the beauty of the subject.

THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT WAS HAPPENING
although later on, we would be entertained to death with cute Java applets.


Physics / Electrical Engineering
These subjects are still the least of my worries, but please, don't go the way of MA2108 such that I have to panic later!

O Mastering Physics, Wherefore Art Thou Always Lagging?

Programming
Lab assignment was conducted through Vim, a compiler interface developed in 1990, which contrasted strongly with the futuristic setting where tutors can open windows on your desktop and mess with your screens remotely and with capricious glee.

German
I am in need of a German sänger to accompany me through this ongoing Deutschkurs.
The German folk music scene seems sadly stunted... Apparently, it has never been through a revival stage, like what they had in Ireland or Sweden.
Also, the only German classical composer I really listen to is Hildergard of Bingen, the 12th century polymath genius who wrote her songs in freakin' Latin.


It should be time to warm up to my old flames, 1. Philosophy and 2. the avant-garde Art world (with a capital A)
How are you, documenta!

No comments:

Post a Comment