Monday, May 04, 2009

Another note before I fly

2009/5/4: I've packed, Bahasa Indonesia textbook and thermometer and all. I've rehearsed my presentation; a short one, but hell-stressful to pull off. I have a reasonable command of an Indonesian-Malaysian-Singlish-mixed pidgin, hopefully good enough to draw knowing smiles more than it draws incomprehending laughter.

I enjoyed laughing incomprehendingly at Kazuki Tomokawa's singing. The tune and the poetry and the singing are all marvellously mismatched. This Japanese acid-folk artist does more than just sing; he howls, he wails, he sputters and coughs, to plaintive chords that prove all too painful to listen to after a while. I guess it's his poems that make him popular in Japan. It's a howling tragedy that I couldn't read Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment