Monday, June 04, 2012

About the Finns


 A postcard of Finn guy

I do not know how many of the people I see on the streets are Finns, but I tend to assume that if a person in Helsinki wrap themselves up for cold weather, he or she is probably not a Finn. This is because the national stereotype is being tough as nails and cold-resistance is a particularly salient specialty. Now I know that the average Finn at this 8°C summer does not dress up too lightly, probably three or four thin layers like I do, though occasionally outliers appear who come decked out in nothing more than a t-shirt for tops. Such reckless attire earns my nod of approval and respect.

The other stereotype is Finnish humour. Finnish humour is delivered solemnly but unceremoniously. Jokes told within a group of Finns are smart comments that are inserted in a timing as off-coloured as possible. Awkward, fertile spans of silence happen instead of laughter. Awkward silences also occur when one or two of the group are the only ones at the table that have not yet finished their meals. After a precisely-measured time interval after the last bite, everyone stands up in one coordinated move and lines up for tray-return. It is amazing.

Recommending the movie called The Man Without a Past, which is awesome because of Finns.
I should be sleeping